Vegan sometimes translates as ‘no fun’ but not this time! This gorgeously decadent chocolate treat is vegan and delicious. Use whatever sweet bits you can find in the cupboard and put those leftover easter eggs to use.
If you don’t like chocolate well, A) get off this website straight away, and B) seriously? Who doesn’t like chocolate?
Lockdown life is about treating yourself kindly and the occasional treat is necessary to get through this weird, scary, dark time.
Let us know how your fridge bars turned out.
- 170g of vegan butter or regular butter
- 400g of chocolate
- 80 - 90g of golden syrup, maple syrup or honey (if using dark chocolate, use 90g of syrup, for milk chocolate use 80g)
- 250g of biscuits ( you can mix different ones)
- 60 g of whatever toppings you have lying around (raisins, dates, mulberries, sweets, coconut pieces, nuts etc)
- Line a square baking tray or dish with parchment paper or foil
- Place the biscuits of your choice into a ziplock bag, seal it and use a rolling pin or spoon to crush them into small pieces. Then, pour the biscuit pieces into a large bowl along with your chosen toppings
- Fill up a pan with water to about 1/4 of the way and place on the hob on medium heat
- Take a heatproof bowl and add the butter, chocolate and syrup to it
- Once the pot of water has started to simmer, turn it to a low heat and place the heatproof bowl with the chocolate mixture on top and stir until it melts
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl containing the biscuits and chosen toppings stir until the biscuits are fully coated
- Transfer the mixture into your lined baking tray/dish and use the back of a spoon to smooth and level out
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
Store in a container in the fridge
Rusna is a yoga teacher and baking enthusiast. Follow her and her brother Naikee as they teach simple yoga flows over Insta lives on @instamoksha.